Monday, May 06, 2013
MUSCLE SHOALS Named Audience Award Winner at Hot Docs
Posted by Courtney Small
After the final screening yesterday, audience votes were tallied for the Audience Award, presented by Netflix. The winner is MUSCLE SHOALS (D: Greg “Freddy” Camalier, USA), the story of a tiny backwater Alabama town’s impact on popular music. Second in the audience poll is BLOOD BROTHER (D: Steve Hoover, USA), in which the director follows his friend’s sudden move to India to care for HIV-positive orphans; and third in the audience poll is A WHOLE LOTT MORE (D: Victor Buhler, UK), which looks at the impact of the auto crisis on a company whose 1200 employees have developmental disabilities. The cash prize for the Audience Award, which will be shared by the top three films in the audience poll, was crowd-funded from audiences through Hot Docs’ Doc Ignite platform. Currently in excess of $6300, the public can further contribute to this cash prize until Friday, May 10.
The top ten audience favourites as determined by audience vote are:
1. MUSCLE SHOALS (D: Greg “Freddy” Camalier, USA)
2. BLOOD BROTHER (D: Steve Hoover, USA)
3. A WHOLE LOTT MORE (D: Victor Buhler, UK)
4. THE PUNK SINGER (D: Sini Anderson, USA)
5. LAST WOMAN STANDING (D: Lorraine Price, Juliet Lammers; Canada)
6. SPRING & ARNAUD (D: Katherine Knight, Marcia Connolly; Canada)
7. THIS AIN'T NO MOUSE MUSIC! (D: Chris Simon, Maureen Gosling, USA)
8. MENSTRUAL MAN (D: Amit Virmani, Singapore, India)
9. THE CRASH REEL (D: Lucy Walker, USA)
10. THE GHOSTS IN OUR MACHINE (D: Liz Marshall, Canada)
Also during this year’s Hot Docs Festival, attending filmmakers with official selections in the Festival were invited to vote for their favourite film. This year two films tied for the Filmmakers Award: THE MACHINE WHICH MAKES EVERYTHING DISAPPEAR (D: Tinatin Gurchiani; Georgia, Germany), which looks at the lives Georgian youth through a casting call, and THESE BIRDS WALK (D: Bassam Tariq, Omar Mullick; USA), which looks at a children’s shelter in Karachi.