Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Hot Docs Week: 20 Films to See at Hot Docs.
Posted by Courtney Small
This Thursday marks the official start of the 2011 Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival. Running from April 28th to May 8th, Hot Docs is a festival that showcases the best in documentaries from around the world. Last year, two documentaries featured at Hot Docs, Gasland and Waste Land, went on to receive Oscar nominations at the 2011 Academy Awards. Which films will be honoured this year? Only time will tell, but what I do know is that this year’s list might be the best one yet!
Thanks to the kind folks at both Hot Docs and NFB I have already had the chance to see a few of the films being screened at this year’s festival. I will post my reviews for you starting Thursday. Until then, below is a list of 20 documentaries playing at this year’s festival that caught my eye:
Please note that tickets can be purchased for all these films, and many more documentaries, at the Hot Docs website.
1. Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest
2. Conan O’Brien Can’t Stop
3. Beauty Day
4. El Sicario, Room 164
5. All for the Good of the World and Nosovice
6. Pom Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold
7. Wiebo’s War
8. How to Die In Oregon
9. The Pirate Tapes
10. Project Nim
11. Despicable Dick & Righteous Richard
12. The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975
13. How Are You Doing Rudolf Ming
14. St-Henri, The 26th of August
15. The Bengali Detective
16. Recessionize! For Fun and Profit!
17. Boy Cheerleaders
18. The Redemption of General Butt Naked
19. Matchmaking Mayor
20. Little Voices